Sunday, July 25, 2010

Blueberry Almond Cake

This is perhaps a bit of a "candy ciggarette" as Kurt Harris puts it, I wouldn't advise making this a staple part of your diet, but it is very tasty and actually not unhealthy per say. My kids love it for breakfast, and as they don't go crazy eating the entire thing (like I can, though I did feel pretty nauseous for the rest of the night) I make it for them form time to time.

3/4 cup almond meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
3 tbs coconut oil
1-2 tbs sugar free vanilla torani syrup OR good maple syrup
1 cup fresh blueberries (I'm sure you could use frozen, but I have not tried it yet, start with a smaller amount to avoid excess moisture I think)

In a glass or ceramic bowl melt the coconut oil just so it is liquid, add the egg and beat them with a whisk. Add the sweetener if you are using it. Once all the wet ingredients are combined, add the almond meal and the baking powder and mix thoroughly. Stir in the blueberries, cover with a plate, microwave for 3 minutes. Remove plate, microwave 1.5 minutes more, and there you go!I cut it into quarters and a portion is a good breakfast for each kid. (They have the choice to either save the remaining quarter for breakfast the next day or they can have it after dinner, they usually save it.)


If you take issue with microwaves, I think this would work well in the oven, but I am not certain of cooking time. I would start with a 350 degree oven and put the mix in muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes, then check. Keep baking until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment